It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Genre: Romance, Contemporary, New Adult, Fiction
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc (Atria Paperback)
Pages: 376
Release date: August 2nd, 2016
Age Group: New Adult, around 16-24 [according to me]

Synopsis: Lily hasn't always had it easy, but she's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He's also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily, But Ryle's complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his "no dating" rule, she can't help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

Colleen Hoover delivers a heart-wrenching, deeply personal, story. It Ends With Us is certainly a very powerful novel, with the incredibly heavy subject of domestic violence and emotional hurt.

Review: This was my first Colleen Hoover book, and I went into it knowing nothing about the plotline. To say the least, I was extremely surprised and taken aback by how the story developed, but I have to say, it's best going in without knowing the plot.

This book made a huge impact on me and really affected me in ways I never thought were possibly. Even though I've never been anywhere near a domestically violent relationship, this novel hit me really hard. Overall, this book was so good, so fast to read and I really recommend it. It was amazing in soooo many ways, so let's start off with the parts I didn't like - just to get it over with.

[FROM THIS POINT FORWARD THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.]

One thing that really bugged me, as someone suffering from OCD, is how unnaturally often the characters "brought their hands up to their mouths", and that movement was often timed in the wrong situations. Another thing I didn't really adore about this novel was how steamy the beginning was, but since it is a New Adult novel, I believe that's okay.

Now, let's talk characters. I loved Ryle in the beginning and as the novel progressed, I felt the same feelings Lily felt. I was sad, because I had grown to love this character who turned out to be terrible, and I felt bad for him at occasions such as the part where he is building the crib for their baby. I was also angry at him multiple times, because of what he did to our beloved Lily Bloom. So mixed feelings there.

I honestly never really loved Atlas very much, but I know that he deserved Lily a lot more than Ryle did. For me, it just felt like Atlas love and thoughtfulness towards Lily was a bit excessive in terms of how it is in reality, but that might just be because of what I've experienced lately. Despite this, I knew Atlas was right for Lily, especially since he had left small prints everywhere in her life that she never got rid of; for example the magnet, the fact that she lived in Boston, her tattoo and the fact that she kept the journals about him.

And oh, the journals. I found myself longing to continue reading the journals with Lily. I love reading about background stories and it felt like we were left at cliffhangers everytime she stopped reading. It was also pretty cool that her diary was written as letters to Ellen DeGeneres.

Allysa was probably my favourite character in this book, aside from Lily. She was an amazing best friend and supporter, especially when she got to know about what Ryle had done. Usually people tend to take the side of the person they know better, even when they're wrong, and I admire Allysa for not doing that.

I really don't have much to say about Lily, other than that she made I decision I probably wouldn't be able to make, and I love her for that. I love her for being such a strong character and showing the readers that it's hard to make the right decision, but it has to be made.

My favourite parts of this book was probably whenever Lily's mom or Lily said "I want to be you when I grow up". I don't usually cry while reading books, but if I did, I know for sure I'd cry at the author's note in the end when Colleen Hoover said that to her mom.

Also, about the author's note: it was so emotional to read that Colleen Hoover had based the book off of a real situation, and it was sad to read about. Despite every domestic violence relationship mentioned in the novel, I will never loathe Colleen's father, Ryle or even Lily's father, because, and I quote: "There is no such thing as bad people. We're all just people who sometimes do bad things."

DISCLAIMER: The summary is mostly taken from Goodreads, but is edited by me (i.e some parts of the summary are my own words).
My rating: 4/5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag

5 Summer Releases: Most Anticipated Books